[pct-l] 55 gallon drum

 How about packing a 55 gallon drum through the Sierras?? It would hold all
the food you need and fairly bear proof. Cheaper than most bear canisters on
the market as well!! Of course it is heavy and a pain to pack, but hey, so
are all the canisters I've seen on the market so far.           I would opt.
for one of those kevlar bear bags. ( Even though they fail on bears, mice and
raccoons would fare worse)  Down side is they are no longer legal subsitute
for canisters. MY advice is don't take one. If your come across a ranger,
just tell them a bear ate it. A horrible large bear with teeth THIS big. Next
to packing a large rock, canisters rate #2 on the " Dumb things to Pack"
list. Early thru-hikers who don't camp " Bear War-Zone" campgrounds would
have any trouble. I know of no thru-hikers that actually used canisters on
their trip.Save your money for a second pair of 804's, a night in Tahoe, or
anything else 80.00 will buy!!!!!