[pct-l] start date and bear canisters

There are two considerations on carrying a bear canister, regulations and
practical.

If I were thru-hiking the PCT [not that I ever would, mind you] and I was
hiking in early season I would simply toss my food on the ground or hang it
on a low branch counting on the early season and stealth camping to avoid
the bears. Historically, many thruhikers sleep with their food but I would
not do that because bears seem less afraid of humans lately and I'd rather
go hungry than risk hand-to-paw combat with a bear over the food.

I think, however, that this approach may break some NPS and USFS
regulations. Although they are murky they seem to indicate the following [Do
not take this as gospel. Things change]:
1-No special regulations until Forrester Pass
2-Kings canyon. Between Forrester Pass and Woods Creek thruhikers MUST use
bear boxs [Hikers entering the wilderness in this area must use a bear
canister. Thruhikers are exempted because they are entering from another
area]
3-Woods Creek to just south of Mammoth no special restrictions
4-In Inyo National Forest there is a bear canister requirement from south of
Mammoth to Dohanue Pass
5-Yosemite National Park [Dohanue Pass to Dorothy Lake Pass] bear canisters
required
A special note to 4 and 5 above. The regulations are posted and enforced via
the permit system in these areas the apparantly apply to everyone entering
the area from anywhere. This is the murkey area.