[pct-l] Spruce Grouse

In a message dated 12/10/01 5:35:38 AM, cobwebat99@yahoo.com writes:

<< It's amazing that these things aren't extinct. >>

Evolution's keen schemes suggest to me that something else besides flight is
protecting the spruce goose. The skunk and porcupine species get by with
stinking and sticking. Maybe the grouse tastes so bad that predators don't
bother with it unless starving. Anyway, a new trail legend is born!

  Been inventoring my gear and thanks to the Tin Can Stove Man and a titanium
ice ax, my mountaineering base weight is finally under 20 pounds. I've
"weighed" all the pros and cons of various sheltering and due to my off trail
mountaineering and our northwest climate, my base weight includes a tent AND
a bivvy sack along with an ice ax. But in the Grand Canyon, of course, I
would dump the tent,  ice ax, and about 1.5 pounds of clothing for a base of
14. 20 years ago it was at least 35 pounds