[pct-l] PCT Section I

> Any ideas on the earliest date that Section I [CA]
is
> snow free and ready to hike?

Hard to tell. I hiked this section last year starting
June 21 and it was almost completely clear, except for
a few short interesting snow crossings the last day.
But last year was a dry year. With more snow it could
be interesting, but there are alternates in the guide
book if the snow's too much.

> 1) How are we going to fit 10 days of food in bear
> cannisters?
IMHO you won't. The best I've done is 8 days. But see
Tom's dissertation on getting 12-14 days packed at
http://www.pcta.org/plan/canistercare.shtml (Go for
it, Tom, show me the error of my ways!)

> 2) Where do we get/return cannisters?
If you're going to use them a lot, I'd buy one to
avoid the hassle of renting and returning. If you want
to rent, they have them at the Tuolumne Meadows
entrance station, but you have to return them where
you got them.

> 3) How rough is this section?
Many feel it is the roughest. The east-to-west
traverse is in and out of steep canyons on rocky horse
trails. There's one spot the trail climbs a canyon
wall, only to go back into the same canyon. Still,
there are some great views, some pleasant lakes, and
after the trail turns north again it is much easier.
Figure a couple of lower mileage days after Cold
Canyon and you'll be fine.

AsABat