[pct-l] Bear Canisters and their uses

In a message dated 12/1/01 8:35:29 PM, reynolds@ilan.com writes:

<< Until you

have defeated a garbage bear who has actively tried to get your food, you

don't know shit about beating the bears.

I backed one down at Glen Aulin camp by being aggresive. It really works! She
went looking for some sucker with his food hung off the ground ala previous
NPS requirements. And such a good mother, showing her cubs that where there's
a will there's a way, unless of course, it costs you a lump on your tender
nose. Such a positive role model! Must be the mental stimulation gleaned from
problem solving that attracts them to hung food, as well as appetite. I mean,
like, it must get pretty darn boring slurping berries off of bushes for weeks
at a time. And how many grubs can you eat before it starts getting old.
Especially when they start sticking to the roof of your mouth! And you wonder
why they actually LIKE to try out freeze dried food and toothpaste? Yeah
sure, we know that those things aren't any better tasting than grubs,
probably, but the bear is tricked by its nose into thinking so.
   And that is my opiniion on the subject of bears. What do you think, Tom.
Do I know s--- about bears or what - kinda flat and runny yet pastey like
sweet potatoes, usually black, about 6-8 inches in diameter and, during berry
season, when fresh, smells like a hot, baked, blueberry pie.