[pct-l] Choosing a hiking dog

Marion wrote:  <<I am planning to shop the pound for a new young dog, to be a home protector and hiking companion for me >>

### Marion, my dog-training/wildlife biologist/overall dog psycology expert sister-in-law asked if you've considered any of the livestock guardian breeds?  (I'm sure she'd have a suggestion, I'm supposing Australian Shepherds for one, don't know - very high maintenance coats!)  Since they're bred as both herders and guards, they might suit your purposes very well.  If you want, e-mail me off list and I'll forward your e-mail to her.

Christine