[pct-l] Hiking with Disabilities

>Afterall, they are thousands of people that
>hike the trails,  so why was Brian singled
>out, why is it his responsibilty?

As hard as it may be to believe, most scenic trail hikers don't get written up in Sports Illustrated or the New York Times -- we also don't have AP articles floated to hundreds of newspapers worldwide whenever we reach Manning, or Campo, or wherever.

And of course I agree that newspaper reporters are more interested in a good story about Brian's freak-out in a post office (in the SI piece), or in his epic Snickers consumption, than in, perhaps, whatever he could have said in support of scenic trails.

But it seemed pretty obvious to me that his press made the scenic trails sound less like appealing wilderness experiences, and more like lonely, competetive exercizes in protracted misery.

Which they are, sometimes, given. But it would have been nice if he had said something to the effect of: "The scenic trails aren't about competition," or, "The fact that I set 'speed records' means nothing to most hikers, really, because the trails aren't about that for most people."

Blovis

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp