[pct-l] RE: Therm-a-Rest

I do not want to argue with Charlie on the list. However, an Ultra-Lite
Thermarest is WAY more comfortable than a Ridgerest. You simply need to blow
it up properly.

My wife's and my opinion about confortable sleeping is that you:
1. Need a long pad. A short won't do. That small drop-off makes everything
uncomfortable
2-Two pillows are the key. We use a Thermarest pillow sack where we stuff
our down jackets and another pillow sack that we use between our legs {I
blow up a water bag. Ginnie uses clothes to stuff the second pillow]
The combination of the long pad and second pillow between the legs changes
the geometry of the body so that one is comfortable even if the hips can't
dig into the matress very far. Our experience is that comfort is a function
of how far the hips are below the rest of the torso. When sleeping on one's
side on a Ridgerest, the upper leg is unnaturally forced to rest in a
slanted position putting pressure on the pelvis and back. The second pillow
elevates the upper leg straightening out the pelvis and back. When sleeping
on ones back, the second pillow under the knees elevates the knees reducing
strain on the back

3-Use a tent. You are far more comfortable if you can spread out instead of
being mummified. We have taken to using Feathered Friends Rock Wren bags
because they are light and have ample knee room to change leg position even
while using a pillow between the knees. However, most nights I simply use
the bag as a comforter because it is warm enough. My experience that my tent
[Stephenson] adds 10-15 degrees of apparant warmth as opposed to sleeping in
the open. [Note: I use the term apparant warmph because this is my
experience rather than experimental data. My experience is that I want to
mummy up about 10-15 degrees earlier when sleeping in the clear]

Yes thruhikers, I know I'm a wimp. I just posted this because there are a
few on this list too old and smart for the guts and glory 30 mpd approach.

Tom