[pct-l] San Jacinto water report, etc.

Sports Chalet in La Canada sometimes has seconds. I have a couple of spare
ultra-lite long [I think] that you could have.

-----Original Message-----
From: vichanson@juno.com [mailto:vichanson@juno.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 10:03 PM
To: PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] San Jacinto water report, etc.

Just got back from San Jacinto, had a great time in spite of the weather.
There was plenty of water available on the way to Little Round Valley on
the Deer Springs Trail, the last 3 stream crossings before LRV all had
sufficient water as well as one place before that (there is a pipe coming
out of the hill, don't remember where it was). Didn't see any water at
LRV but didn't really look as we had gotten water just before that.

It was a beautiful sunny day leaving Idyllwild, finally got going about
8:15 Sat. morning. After a false stop at a nice camping area just after
the PCT and Deer Springs trails separated, we arrived at LRV and set up
camp and had dinner. By this time clouds had rolled in and it was really
getting cold so after watching a beautiful sunset we went to bed. The
wind picked up during the night and I soon realized the folly of leaving
the tent pegs home to save weight! With every hard wind gust my 6x8 foot
tent compressed to about 4x5 and then I noticed that it wasn't just wind,
it had started to snow. I was warm and toasty in my new Campmore 20 deg.
down bag (after some initial concern because the down didn't seem to be
distributed too evenly) but have to give a poor grade to the Slumberjack
AirLight Shorty pad. I guess there is a reason they are being closed out
so cheap. Does anyone know a discount source for Therm-a-Rests?

We got up a bit after 6 this morning and decided not to make the loop
around as planned but left our packs at the camp site and made a quick
trip up to the summit and back. It was really snowing heavily by the time
we started down from the summit and was a beautiful winter scene, huge
snowflakes and the ground starting to get covered with white. It had let
up some by the time we got back to camp and being a little warmer then it
was a very wet snow. By the time we got packed up we all had very wet and
cold hands and were really eager to head down to lower (and warmer)
elevations. By the time we reached Strawberry Junction where the PCT and
Deer Springs first meet, the sun was breaking through the clouds and the
rest of the hike was very nice.

BTW, where do you get weather reports for the mountains and summits? I
use AccuWeather on the web but that only gives the nearest town. Thanks,

Vic Hanson