HMMMM.... Re: [pct-l] Marathons in the Wilderness

EXCEPT for very very limited areas  (eg, Mt Whitney Trail)
there are NO DAY HIKE QUOTAS! so this argument is like, **totally**
incorrect...lets stop pushing it here, ok?

Marathons would fall under the day hike quota auspices..
and thereffore not subject to quotas except as mentioned
previously, in heavily traveled area: 50,000 people a year
go up the Portal trail (according to LP Ranger station blurb)
and many go into Shasta area as well...again, however, there
are normally to day-use quotas on 99% of the trails in the
US.

... however I suspect, since the last time I ran a Marathon,
there was a "huge" infrastructure of way stations, bystanders,
aid stations, water stations, etc etc; that the marathon itself may
be classified under a "special use function" and need a separate
permit. However this is CONJECTURE from speaking to Ranger
Aaron at YNP and he did not know the exact FS rules. In YNP it
would be a group permit.

Rich Calliger