[pct-l] Re: Bear Canisters

I had an Ursack Ultra ripped wide open last July in K.C. Pictures still on
backpackinglight.com. under "Features." Since disapproved by Park Service.

Only cans approved in SEKI are the heavy Garcia and the lighter Bearikade and
I believe an aluminum can which I haven't seen. Garcia cans are rented in
SEKI for $3 per trip and Bearikades at $3 per day. Note that food hangs are
illegal. So is bear and pepper spray. (Why?)

Inyo and probably other adjacent National Forests are also requiring approved
bear cans. Either that, or use the bear boxes, of which there are an
abundance in Sequoia especially. Shoulder seasons avoid the (not too bad
usually) crowds where these are located.

Best, Todd in Tarzana.