[pct-l] a good read!

Here you go.  Mr. Löfgren writes much more neatly than I do.

-- Jim
--------------- START OF ENTRY ------------
8-8-01 Stefan Lofgren MEXICO ---------------- 84 days -----------> Canada

"Where did you start?" "Mexico." "Really?" "84 days ago."  "Wow, do you ever
stop and enjoy yourself?"  "You mean like to masturbate?" (Thought, not
said, of course.)  I get this all the time.  My only response was "Well, now
that implies walking isn't enjoyable.  Walking 2600 miles would be pretty
foolish if I didn't enjoy walking." -- Then trying to understand their
comment, I watch them pass and their pack completely eclipses them.  I
suppose walking isn't enjoyable with 45 lbs., a bad knee, and a hip rash.
HERE's MY POINT - Imagine a  hiking day as a work week.  The time spent
walking is like your 5 days on.  Time lying in the meadow is like the
weekend.  Carrying 50 lbs. throughout the week is like paying into the kids'
college fund, paying the house loan, paying for the car, the boat, and the
pool. -- Going ultralight, e.g.. 12 lbs., has shown me the actual walking to
the vista is fun.  Leading a simple life, I think, may lead to vibrancy and
a happy attitude, like skipping down into camp after 38 miles with the pack
on one shoulder.  But the trail teaches humility and being humble so this is
all I can think to say. -- Gandalf and Bilbo at the end of the Hobbit.
0 G. "You take only two tiny bags of gold home with you?  Your share was
greater."  B. "It's all my pony could carry and it's more than I'll ever
need."  G. "So the prophecies of old have come true.  Smaug is gone, the
dwarves and elves live in peace, and the men build a civilization."  B.
"Prophecies, Humph!  I had a hand in all that!"  G. "Do you really think
that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for
your sole benefit?  You're a very find person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very
fond of you, but you're quite a little fellow in a very big world."  B. "Uh.
Thank GOODNESS."

Don't live for the week-end.  Through-hike LIFE!

Stefan Löfgren