[pct-l] Everest verses PCT/"Firsts"/ Gothic Girl/ Mike Nuebig

Bottom line is that none of this stuff matters if you hike for your own pleasure and gratification.  On the other hand, if you hike to prove something or for the approval or gratification of others, then there will always be at least one naysayer telling you that you didn't accomplish your goal to their satisfaction.

But what does it matter?  If you hike the way that you want/enjoy and you are satisfied and proud of yourself for sticking to your own guidelines and reaching your own goals, who is anyone to challenge your satisfaction?

As a fellowship of hikers, it is my opinion that this list is best served to provide objective facts and information to those who can benefit from our collective experience.  Any discussion of what constitutes a "real hike" is futile and and inefficient use of this list.

I agree with Gina, its sad that the commercialization of climbing has polluted the world's mountain sides and peaks with those who haven't paid the dues that traditional climbers have experienced.  In my opinion, it doesn't take away from the effort and valor of those who choose to get there on their own.

If we are smart, we can use tools like this list to help preserve the PCT and keep it uncomercialized and natural. Unfortunately, I am afraid that keeping it from getting crowded is a lost cause because our population keeps growing and the number of wild places keeps decreasing.

peace,
dude in Texas
planning Tahoe to Yosemite, Aug 2001