[pct-l] Brian in Big Bear........

In a message dated 5/8/2001 7:58:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
howie@jschool.troyst.edu writes:

> I can remember sitting
>  in the Pub at the Inn at the Long Trail eating my third hamburger of the
>  third day of my stay there.

Hiker math -- my specialty!  OK, here are the possibilities, based on the
sketchy info provided (just like all math word problems hatched by sadistic
math teachers):

A.  The problem mentions only three hamburgers, so the answer must be THREE

B.  Howie was there three days, so he must have eaten three hamburgers each
day, so this is obviously a multiplication problem, where three times three
equals NINE, the number of hamburgers Howie ate during his stay.

C. But his trail name is HUNGRY HOWIE and he had a huge appetite after 1500
miles, so this obviously is an exponential problem, so three to the third
power equals EIGHTY-ONE hamburgers!

Obviously C. is the correct answer.  Now be honest.  How many of you got
sucked in by all that completely extraneous info about Brian Robinson and the
college kid hiking 30 miles a day?  That stuff was just put in there to lead
you astray from the correct answer.  Pay closer attention next time!  :)

For those of you who got the answer wrong, your assignment is to calculate
the net vertical elevation gain on a northbound thruhike starting on April 26
and ending on October 2 during a high snowpack year.

Smile!

Professor Solar Bear