[pct-l] bone problems from trekking pole use?

Emily, how do you grip the poles?  Do you use the straps at all?  Do you
keep a strong grip on the poles as you're hiking?  I'm wondering if you are,
'cause that might be the root of the problem (not that I'm an expert or
anything...)  I've been using either old ski poles or Leki Makalu poles
since, oh, 1982, at least.  After 1500 miles in '94 using double poles I
didn't experience any forearm problems at all.  It may be because I've been
lucky OR it may be because of the way I hold the poles.

I hold the poles in the way I learned how to use poles for downhill skiing:
put your hand upwards through the loop of the strap, then use the doubled
strap to support your wrist while you hold the pole lightly with the thumb
and first 2 fingers of your hands (if this makes any sense, of course!).
That way the pole can swing back and forth without too much effort from your
hands because pivots on the strap insertion point, not from your wrist
action.  I'm thinking that you may be gripping the pole too hard.

On the other hand, you may simply have been annointed as a representative of
the very few who have incurred a weird injury and it's taking a long time to
heal.  Which is, of course, a major annoyance!!!!  Hearing your experience
(especially with the docs) makes me count my blessings - and I really do
feel for you.  An injury - or worse - is such a challenge.  I've been
through a few, & definitely sympathize.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Christine