[pct-l] Cajon Pass to Agua Dulce as of 05/06/01 from the first through

Updates from the first few thru hikers: Brent, Hirsch, Lucky Day, Ned =
Nederlander and Dusty Bottoms @ the Saufley's on 05/06/01.  Hope all of =
this helps.

Here is the update on the I 15 to Agua Dulce section through the San =
Gabriels:

Water:

The water report posted as of 05/05/01 (dated 05/16/00) is still =
accurate for this year at this point in time.  There is no water from =
Cajon Pass to the snow line on Lytle ridge so please be aware.  There is =
a lot of snow on the trail so you should be able to boil/melt snow for =
water.  There is water at Guffy Camp, no water at Grassy Hollow, and =
other wise you should probably fill up a full load of water at the  =
North Fork Ranger Station before you head into Maddox Canyon (water may =
be iffy where the trail crosses the creek bed).

Trail Conditions:

We did run into, ok-saw, a bear just outside of the McDonalds near Cajon =
Pass so be aware and start making noise.  Trail is clear until you hit =
the divide near Wrightwood.  On North facing slopes, you may encounter =
2-3' of snow.  You should be able to go through to the base of Baden =
Powell without any problems, but if you need to resupply in Wrightwood, =
do not rely on the Acorn Crest Trail-still very steep and snowy.  Do not =
attempt to go up Baden Powell unless you have full winter gear-cramps, =
ice axe, etc.  The best alternate is to stay on 2, but beware that with =
clean up efforts, it may be closed to foot traffic.  Mt. Williamson =
still has steep and icy patches on it (as of May 4th) but from there on =
out the trail is clear of snow.  There are some small downed trees, but =
should be passable for foot and most pack traffic.  Watch out for =
massive poison oak patches near Vasquez rocks but your trip into Agua =
Dulce will be clear and hot.

Happy Trails to you all,

Dusty and Brent

----- Original Message -----=20