[pct-l] Drinking with the enemy

Thank you Brick for your well said comments re overuse of the back country.
As a lifelong wilderness lover and horsewoman, I appreciate your comments
greatly.  It is not just the individual hiker or horseman who impacts the
land adversely, it is OVERUSE BY ALL.  Even the cattle that are on and near
the trail do little damage when it is just a few, it is the overuse of the
resource which offends us all.  Having been raised on a cattle ranch in
south central Washington and ridden in much of the Cascades over the years
it is the cumulative effects that are noticed.  I have been in many areas
that are pristine grazing lands and unless you know what to look for you
would never know that cattle or horses had been there.  On the other hand I
have been to areas that are closed to horses and stock but heavily used by
people and there is great damage.  I realize that many people find horse
droppings offensive,  but I personally often find tents and other people
offensive also.  Like meeting a group of thru hikers on the downwind
side<VBG>.  Let us continue to treat each group as we would wish to be
treated and work toward the betterment of the land and keeping it available
to all.  Now I will get off my high horse and creep back into my pack boxes
to emerge at Campo on April 28.
Happy Trails
Crest Rider