[pct-l] Being Daniel Boone

I'd like to respond to the person who objected to seeing toothpaste spits in
a more civil manner. Sure, most of us desire seeing pristine wilderness with
no visible impact by man, and I'm certain that 99.9 percent of the people on
this list practice LNT. But the trail itself, which provides us easy access,
insures there will be some impact to confirm that we aren't the first person
to ever visit sites along it. Just meeting other people along the way
dissolves this well placed fantasy. So does established campsites.
    So may I suggest off trail travel. The Wind River range of Wyoming is a
prime example of a place you can visit where you can definitely feel that you
are the first to be there (If you go off trail.) There are thousands of off
trail lakes that you can easily access across relatively flat, brushless
terrain. All you need is a little orienteering knowledge (or a GPS). It's
almost a certainty that yours will be the only party there. And take a
fishing pole or two because the wise folks that manage the Jim Bridger
Wilderness don't seem to care too much about introduced species and have
stocked virtually all the lakes with about 6 different species of trout.
(Sorry Jeffery about letting your secret out)