[pct-l] human waste

For more detailed information regarding human waste (feces and urine) I
highly recommend the Humanure Handbook, by Joseph Jenkins. Believe it or not
pit toilets, individual septic systems, and municipal waste systems are
highly ineffective and toxic methods of waste disposal. In fact
municipatilities are allowed to dump effulent that contains certain levels
of fecal coliforms as well as chlorine, which by the way is very toxic, into
your local watershed. So, when you are at home be aware that every time you
flush the toilet you are using fresh water (drinking water) to move your
waste which eventually ends up in your local creek, stream, or river. BTW,
only 3% of the water on this planet is fresh and of that 3% experts contend
that perhaps less than half of that is available for consumption or use.

OTH, composting is the only effective and safe means of human waste
disposal. Also, the microorganisms that break down feces and pathogens are
already present in human waste. All they need are the conditions to
thermophilicly compost rendering the "WASTE" a safe and readily usable
product: COMPOST, which by the way completes the nutrient cycle.

Hence, I do not believe disposing of soiled toilet paper or sanitary napkins
in trash cans is a safe or effective means of disposal. However, the
alternatives as I described above aren't much better and could certainly
lead to unprecedented water borne illness in the US.

Stop and think about what's in your water.

David Patterson