[pct-l] bear cans

At 05:00 PM 4/8/01, Ginny & Jim Owen wrote:
>>I was wondering if anyone knows which areas require
>>us, by law, to carry a bear canister.  Also, does
>>anyone have any suggestions for a lightweight can.?
>
>Unless something's changed drastically since last year there's no place on the PCT where bear canisters are required "by law".  Carrying one is a personal choice for a thruhiker - and I won't tell you which way to jump.

Some of the areas in Sequoia / Kings National Park (SE/KI) have (or had) a regulation that the only legal ways to store food are in Bear Boxes in campsites (locations listed at http://www.pcta.org/plan/bears.shtml ) or in Bear Cans. So if you Don't have a bear can, you Must camp in these places.

I searched the SE/KI site for the reg but the only thing I found was this paragraph on http://www.nps.gov/seki/raelakes.htm
Bears have been very active along this trail, and were successful at getting food that was hung in trees. Hikers are now required  to carry portable bear-proof canisters which are available for sale or rent at several locations in the parks, or from US Forest  Service offices located in Lone Pine, Independence, and Bishop, California. This has proved very successful at preventing bears  from accessing food. (Do not count on the permanent metal food-storage boxes; they often fill up in popular areas.)
--
Brick Robbins

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go
- T.S. Eliot