[pct-l] The dogs v. horses double standard

>The ecology excuse is just an easy excuse... kinda like saying "I can't
becuase my wife won't >let me."   If the ecology issue was a serious concern
they wouldn't allow horses.  They have a >much greater impact on the ecology
and are not indiginous to the area.

Domestic dogs aren't indigenous to the high country, either. Their impact
comes primarily in the form of non-native predation of native wildlife. Yet
dogs also behave territorially, often illogically so. And this gets to the
heart of why dogs are banned while horses are allowed. Dogs sometimes spook
horses, and in turn ire the equestrians. The department of the interior is
in the pocket of the equestrians, not the dog owners, and so the dog owners
lose out. Should they feel like victims as a result? Not necessarily, since
it is probably in the best interest of the natural environment to leave dogs
at home, regardless of policy. Should they feel upset at the double
standard, as they walk through the horse ruts and dung? Quite possibly, yes.
But rather than fight for their "rights," dog owners instead might join with
those fighting for the rights of the environment.

- blisterfree