[pct-l] 2001 Hikers - HELP! Class Project/Good luck Newbies!

Greetings new and old listers,

A quick message for the freshie hikers about to start
this year's monstrous hike.  From the absolute bottom
of my heart, I wish you luck, magic, and inspiration.
The trail is 10 times more than the best storyteller,
writer or photographer could document.  If the
upcoming journey leaves you with much worry, I can
only suggest smiling.  If your head is on straight,
and have a clue about your water, food, and safety
needs, you will do just fine.  As an ex-beginner
myself, I sat at your end of the computer screen last
year at this time,  scared out of my wits about the
trek.  There was Mad Monte reminesencing right along
side of Strider, wishing everyone good luck.  A few
others mentioned how they wish they could trade places
with me, and it went in one ear and out the other.

And then I hiked, and hiked and hiked.

However, here I am now on the other end of the
computer screen, wishing you strangers good luck.
Please think of us who can't join you, but are
reliving our dreams and experiences through you this
time round.

If you are in my boat, wondering what you are going to
go through, let me give you a little advice.

1.  Put a few miles on your feet with your full pack
on.  If you don't, you'll be one of the dozens knocked
off the trail in Mt. Laguna with ugly blisters.  They
are your worst enemy in the first 100 miles.

1 and a half.  Catch a horned toad.  They're harmless,
slow, and as cute as can be!

2.  It's going to take you at least 300 miles to get
into the swing of things. You will hurt. You will have
an unwelcome encounter (maybe a snake, maybe an alien,
maybe a pissed off waitress who doesn't want to give
you extra pancakes for free just because you are a PCT
hiker). There will be a surprising amount of uphills
along the trail, even in the desert! Don't even think
about giving up until you are in Wrightwood. Then,
rock the trail for just three hundred more miles.
Then, at Kennedy Meadows, just go 5 more days.  If you
don't like it by the time you reach Mt Whitney, then
quit!

3.  Smell the roses (um...cacti) as you hike, and have
a blast trying to get that silly little song out of
your head.

4.  Every day will be tough.  Some days will be
tougher than others.  All days will be better than
sitting on your butt in front of a computer screen.

5. Rock On!

And...get out a pencil please, cause I am asking a
favor of you 2001ers.  I'm now a sixth grade teacher
telling the stories of the trail.  My kids are
enthralled with what you are doing.  We are doing a
class project from now until you hit the Sierras.  We
would love to hear from you, and would love to
correspond with you, hearing about the nitty-gritties
of the trail.  If those with portable emailers (or
even access) would like to correspond (or attach us
onto your email journals), we would love to track and
ask you questions.

For dreaming kids and a dreaming 2000 PCT
hiker-turned-teacher,
Luke "Amigo" Snyder

address:
mrsnydersclass@yahoo.com
or
The class of Mr. Snyder
c/o Mountain Ridge Middle School
13835 West Park Drive
Magalia, CA. 95954

P.S.  The email address will be checked by students.
Please refrain from language and inappropriate
content.

Rock on 2001!