[pct-l] Stolen Backpack

I hiked from Campo to Lake Moreno on Sunday the first of April.  At Lake
Moreno at about 6:30 in the evening a passenger in a large, newish looking,
black 4*4 pickup towing a boat calmly jumped out, tossed my backpack in the
back of their pickup and drove off.  I stepped aside and let them go and
although I deliberately looked at the license I was too stunned or tired or
something to remember any part of it.  The people of Lake Moreno must be
really afraid of crime since their yards are all protected by guard dogs and
it took some time to find a house I could approach to call the police.  It
took some convincing but they let me call 911 but told me I couldn't say
where I was calling from and that I should wait for the police by the Malt
Shop which was closed.  I was tired, hungry, and very cold, so I asked them
if they would bring me a jacket if I was out there for a long time.
Unhappily after about 20 minutes the police called back to the traced number
which upset the occupants who told me I should walk to the gas station to
call 911 again and gave me directions.  The police were uninterested and
would not authorize the overtime to come out and take a report or render
assistance.  Luckily I had driven to Campo so the police did finally connect
me to a tow truck company who picked me up and drove me to Campo.  There I
waited almost another hour for another tow truck company to come and unlock
the car.  I was frozen and would eventually have just broken a window.  Last
time I parked there I didn't lock the car and left it for almost a month
before my husband picked it up with my purse, keys and wallet in the trunk.
I wish I'd done the same this time.
Moral:  Don't live in a place like Lake Moreno, live somewhere where life is
good, you trust and help everyone including the homeless, you don't lock
your doors and you leave your keys in the ignition so you never have to look
for them.  Better to be trusting and have something stolen than live your
life barricaded in your home suspicious of everyone and not willing to get
involved.

If you live in Southern California would you please keep an eye on your
local classified or bulletin boards for a Western Mountaineering sleeping
bag, a SD light year tent or women's black NF jacket for sale and let me
know.  I can positively ID the jacket, bag and tent.

The lunch spot described in the guide book had lots of water also a 4-5ft.
rattler guarding the trail and rattling menacingly.  I'm glad it wasn't one
of the ones that only rattle as they strike, it would have got me for sure.
Hauser Creek is still trickling into a couple of pools before disappearing
into the sand.