[pct-l] Crampons

Here is a tried and tested Mini-Crampon that anyone with a few hand tools
can construct. It will take about an hour or two but you will save time and
perhaps a fall, when crossing the Sierras. I made two pairs and used them
when ascending northern sides of several passes on the John Muir Trail
during July 2000 They work well. They are inexpensive, lightweight and
dependable. I call them "Grampons", not Crampons, and if you look at other
pics on my web site you'll see why this oldie calls them Grampons. If anyone
wants to make them and sell them go right ahead, I do not have the time for
another business venture. If you have any questions regarding the
construction methods or materials, I would be pleased to answer them. For
you thru-hikers these may make it a bit less traumatic to cross the Sierras
in early season as you do. I will bring a pair with me this summer while
following Steve Roper's Timberline Route. Enjoy! Construction info and a
sketch can be found on my web page shown below. Look towards the bottom of
the page.
http://members.home.net/tsimon10/jmt003.html  !!!!!! go to the bottom of the
web page !!!!!!!!