From: Eric Lee (RAT) [mailto:elee@microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 2:24 PM
To: Reynolds, WT; The Weathercarrot; haakon@oz.net;
pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] maps

This is a great deal if you want detailed topos of the whole PCT.  Sure,
the Topo!California box costs $150 or so, but it contains USGS 7.5' maps
that would probably cost thousands if you bought them individually.  If
you have a decent color inkjet printer, you can print out as few or as
many maps as you like, even if the area you need falls across the USGS
map boundaries.  (Just keep them protected from water.)  Topo! is very
cool.

You can also have Topo! give you an elevation profile of the route.
(Tom, did you already post that number for the entire California PCT?
If not, could you do that?)  The problem is that, in my experience,
Topo! tends to overestimate elevation gain and loss.  I think this is
because the software traces a very literal connect-the-dots profile
along the route, whereas if you actually got out on the trail and looked
at it, you'd find that it tends to smooth out some of the high-frequency
jiggling by winding this way and that as it goes along.  But it's still
a fairly decent estimate.

Eric