[pct-l] More Info on Satelitte Phones

More info from people in the business:

Iridium [new company] has a big government contract that is keeping them in
the black. They appear to be OK financially. Technically the service was
perfected about the time they stopped service. In fact, however, service did
not stop. The government has been using this service all this time. The 9500
[1 pound] and 9505 [375 gm] are the current phones. A new phone is comming
out. I expect an information pak this week with service restored in April.

My non-humble opinion: If you are going to carry a pound of electronics on
the trail, this is the pound to carry.