[pct-l] Seeking Advice on PCT footwear

After destroying my feet on the San Felipe Hills in '94 I can only support
what Tom says about tortoises and rabbits, going slowly at first to do that
initial conditioning - unless, of course, you've been running or walking or
hiking for 20 miles a day for the previous month already!

  I'm a 5'-5" female, size 7 bony feet, currently in my fortysomethings, and
had lots of experience with mountaineering in the Sierras, shorter hikes
(9 - 30 days) including cross-country with a pack.  So I thought I knew what
to do for blisters, with which I had also had substantial experience.

My mountaineering, steep-trail moleskin blister prevention method failed
miserably after several 20-mile days on the PCT in weather ranging from rain
and snow from Campo through the Lagunas to warm temps in the San Felipes.
By Barrel Springs the blisters underneath toenails, on the balls of my feet,
in between toes, over other blisters - all of which I had tried to dry,
drain, keep clean, etc. - were unbearably painful.  I had to take five days
off simply to be able to walk, and started the trail again at Idyllwild.  At
Big Bear I had to stop again because they simply would not heal.
Fortunately, Big Bear isn't far from where I live in Lozangeles county, and
I returned home & went to see my local podiatrist.  He gave me a miracle
cure - cheap & easy Vaseline.  I was to goop up my feet with Vaseline at
night & put plastic bags over my feet and let them poach overnight.  After a
single night my feet were pain-free, and I was back on the trail in about 4
days.  I had ONE blister after that - and that one was due to new
lightweight trail boots (that also happened to be a mistake...)  Running
shoes worked everywhere but the Sierra.  (so there. this happened to
surprise the heck out of me.)

These days, Vaseline or a runner's lubricant is my footcare of choice.  It
takes some getting used to, but it keeps the skin supple and helps to heal
early friction-abrasion.  I'd also recommend reading Jon Vonhof's "Fixing
Your Feet" - everyone's feet are different.

Sorry about the long post!  Hope it helps -

Christine Kudija