[pct-l] Re: footwear

   Here's my summation of the footwear issue: find out what works for "you"
before you go, then be ready to adapt and change once the trip begins,
because what worked yesturday may not work today! Your body and the trail
are constantly changing; be flexible!
   I've started and finished a thru hike in boots, started and finished a
thru hike in sandles, and started a thru hike in sandles and finished in
trail runners. Preparation coupled with adaptation will get you where you
want to go. And don't be afraid to "modify" your footwear: if your toes are
hitting the front of the shoe - cut the toe box open!
   On sox and snow travel: from Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows I would
suggest carrying only two pair of sox - one pair of neoprene booties to
wear while hiking, and one pair of warm sleep sox. Using the booties
eliminates the hassel of carrying multiple pairs frozen/wet sox.
   Side note: can anyone recommend a one week backpack trip in Colorado?
My girlfriend will be along so 10 mile days (not 35mpd :-)) will be our
average. Thanks.

Dave (WalkOn)