[pct-l] ass packwards

Hmm, I had a different thought when reading Zorra's email...

If the hip belt wasn't too long and could tightened properly, then the pack
wouldn't slide down and pound her tailbone.  With those shoulder straps and
that hipbelt though, it just sounds like that pack is just plain too big.

Unfortunately though, I just don't have any alternatives in mind for you.
Even at 6'1", I have a terrible time finding packs that have a short enough
torso for my 16" torso so I can only imagine what you're going through.
(FWIW, the Kelty Vapor will likely NOT work for you.  The shoulder straps
are almost too long for me and when I'm wearing just a t-shirt, I have them
cinched all the way down.  Then again, I could never get any of the "women's
packs" to work for me but they might be an option for you.  I imagine they
might weigh more than you're looking for though.  (My Dana fits like a glove
but it's HEAVY which is why I now have a Vapor.)

As for weight distribution within your pack.  The heaviest stuff should be
as close to your back as possible.  For really rough terrain, you probably
want it a bit lower.  For moderate terrain, the middle would be good.  For
really easy terrain where you're just able to walk around, you might even
want it as high as your shoulders or higher.

Having it higher enables you to get the weight over your feet with a minimum
of "leaning" to counterbalance the weight.  If you've ever seen the AMC Hut
Croo members in the Whites carrying huge loads (90 lbs. +/-) on their
packboards, you would see that they load the weight high.  (And that's where
the terrain is pretty rough, too.)

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

>From: "Reynolds, WT" <reynolds@ilan.com>
>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:40:40 -0800
>
>I am working on a pack that might work for you. In the meantime you need a
>pack with a separate hip belt, not a hipbelt sewn into the pack bag. This
>allows the hipbelt to properly encircle your waist without distorting the
>pack bag. Also you need a vertical compression strap--a strap that prevents
>the rear of the pack from sagging. A frame solves this problem because the
>bag is suspended from the frame as opposed to being "piled up" from the
>hipbelt. I don't think that a pack like this will be available new for
>$100.
>
>Tom

[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]