[pct-l] the fragility of trail angels

I recently called a trail angel on the PCT,  and was told that because of
a"very bad experience" in November that she is reluctant to help anybody.
I did not want to push the point at all, and told her that I too had had a
very bad experience when somebody asked me to help them and it had taken
years for me to trust anybody.  She has since emailed me informing that she
would not help me. I am not going to reveal her identity or anything more.

It has been said before on the list that  hikers and riders need to be very
careful and remember that all those that come after are influenced by
behavior of each person that has contact with trail angels.  This is a case
in point.  It may only take one really bad actor to ruin what is a very
positive thing.

Butch"s Death brings home that there may be a much deeper price that is to
payed on the off season and in ones wider life than we may not all realize.

To be honest, I really did not know when I was at a trail angel local, what
I should be doing to try to support them or help them .  I found the
situation of receiving so much help to be awkward and a situation that I
was unable to handle very well. Than too, I was very tired and sitting down
was such a needed rest. On my last hike, I simply asked if there was
anything that I could do to help the trail angels  where I was staying, and
was given a weeding project which I was very happy to do and it made me
feel that at least I was contributing something.

I would be interested in the ways hikers have found to support and help
trail angels during their stays.

I would also second what Mountain Dave said and which I have heard from
almost every thruhiker: The help received from people during my hike
restored my faith in the basic goodness of people. It healed some of my
worst experiences, and it is the greatest gifts that any trail angel can
give.  I feel this gift is the most important of the hike - what is more
important than to learn to love and care for each other, even where the
other is a stranger.

Joanne

Joanne