[pct-l] Re: Loud music in the wild (was: MiniDisc players on the trail)

Jim Serio wrote:
>That's a definite concern that I've thought about. I'd definitely not use
>it
>in rattlesnake territory because of that reason.

Jim -
The only place on the PCT in California that we didn't see rattlesnakes was
the Sierras and Desolation Wilderness areas (too much snow).  Don't remember
any in Oregon and Washington.  But most of California is rattlesnake
territory.  That's also where a lot of the "long, boring stretches " are at.
  YMMV.

>Also, it seems that most opponents think of someone who brings a walkman as
>someone who's "deaf from consistent use and, because of this, has the
>volume
>at such a high level as to disturb others".
>
>I completely agree but believe that I, and many others, are exceptions to
>this
>case. My hearing is _excellent_. Probably because I never used walkman's
>while
>growing up and when I did, I was so afraid of hearing loss that I kept the
>volume
>at a minimum. It probably helped that I grew up as a momma's boy and didn't
>smoke
>or do (experiment with) drugs.
>
>So why bring music on the trip? For the many reasons others have mentioned.
>For
>me, it's very inspirational and has a positive influence on me completing
>. YMMV.

I understand the reasons "FOR" - but I've also experienced the reasons
"against".  I also know that you'll carry what you want to carry - and
that's the way it should be.  :-)

>If we were walking next to each other and I had headphones on, you won't
>hear my
>music but I guarantee I'd hear you breathing hard :-)

Whether or not I'd hear your music, you'd for sure hear my wheezing up those
hills.

Walk softly - and don't step on those rattlesnakes,
Jim