[pct-l] PCT {California} Mapping & GPS Project

Jeff Jones and I attended the second half of a PCTA meeting in San Deigo
today. Jeff showed off his GPS connect to a Palm Pilot rig while I showed of
the first official print from the PCTCalMaster Topo file. Jeff Scheaffer,
Guidebook Author, was there to comment on the maping procedure in general
and GPS maping in particular. High Points:

1-Lots of interest in the GPS project and several volunteers. It now appears
that we have the trail to Kennedy Meadow almost covered.

2-Lots of interest in the GPS-Palm Pilot rig. For a pound total you can
collect and store almost unlimited way points.

3-Jeff Schaeffer was unhappy because he felt that the topo! trace might hurt
book sales. However, when he found out that I had Wilderness Press
permission he backed of. Jeff was very helpful explaining the problems with
maping and why a GPS trace won't necessarly yeild a proper trace on a map
[poor map accuracy].

4-In general PCTA members want to download and print a section of the PCT,
with PCT marked and the base map, from a web site. Percentagewize trail use
is dayhikers and weeklong hikers who would like a 10 to 100 mile color map
of their proposed route.