[pct-l] Re:Butch Wiggs

I'm devastated by Butch's death.  I was a couple of days behind on my
pct-l digests when I read Butch's Jan 24th appeal:

   You guys have been the most cherished friends with the highest values
we've
   ever had. And there are so many friends we just haven't met yet. Sorry
   sound so heavy, its just been a tuff time for this ole cowboy.
   I love you all
   Butch Wiggs

He died the next day and I see now that is was his way of saying goodbye.
 I wrote him on the 27th and the mail never found him but I wanted to
publish it here as a sort of tribute because I don't know what else to
do:

-------------------
Hi Butch,

Don't know if you remember me but I was the red-haired '99 thruhiker that
came through early in the season after some hairy moments on the high
passes (June 11th or so before the ferry was operating).  You took me in
your boat out into the lake and we tried to get e-mail through your
cel-phone connection but no luck.  Anyway I did manage to find the
Canadian border on Sept 13th, 1999 and not a day goes by that I don't
think about the trail.  Stopping at VVR (I also stopped there the
previous year on my JMT hike) was a hilight of my walk and I always tell
friends about the wonderful experience I had, especially my wife who will
be coming there in August on her JMT hike.

I'm so very sorry to hear about you and Peggy.  I wont pry but I want you
to know that I'm thinking of you and hoping that you two can reconcile.
I wish there were something I could do to help.  Is there?  Can I write
Peggy a letter telling her what a great guy you are?  I'm not in a
position to buy the VVR (and NOBODY want to see that happen) but you came
to the right place I'm sure.  You guys mean so much to the hiking
community and to a great number of people whose lives you've touched.
Please let me/us know if there's anything I/we can do.

Take care,

Henry Shires
Redwood City, CA

I wish he had reached out sooner and I wish we had all been able to do
something, anything, before it was too late.  Butch, you're a great man
and you will be profoundly missed.  I hope you have found the peace that
you so desperately sought.  We love you too.