[pct-l] Low snow cover to date

I haven't had a chance to check out the snow survey sites recently, however,
from historical data here are some general rules of thumb (with a big margin
of error!) that I have drawn from data for 1999 back to 1972.  I presented
this to the list last year and received no response, so I must assume either
everyone agreed with my analysis or everyone thought I am truly losing it!

The earliest that historical records report snow levels is in the month of
February.  I compared these records with the amount recorded on the last
month recorded; May. I looked at the information from the Bighorn Plateau
survey station (11,350') which is just south of Forrester Pass and a good
general indication of the amount of snow at high levels in the Sierra
(assumption).

I divided the snow pack levels left over from the winter months (recorded in
May) into three general categories; light, average and heavy (many
assumptions).

I looked at whether the snow pack tended to show up early or late on each of
these and found that typically (assumption), light in Feb. means light in
May, with a few exceptions of late storms.  In other words, late snow storms
don't often make up for a light snow pack in Feb.  In only one year, 1975,
has light snow in Feb. led to more than light (average or heavy) snow pack in
May!

In "average" years nearly all had most of the snow pack fall in Feb. In other
words, average snow pack in February means an average snow pack overall.  In
only three years did an average snow pack in Feb. mean a heavy pack in May.

In "heavy" years the snow fall mostly started off heavy.  In only two years
did heavy snow pack in February melt off to average levels in May.  However,
in two other years, average snow pack in Feb. led to heavy in May.

Therefore, roughly (assumptions abound here) and assuming normal melt off
conditions from May into June:

1. When there is less than 40 inches of snow depth in Feb., then expect
approximately 14 inches in June when you would be going thru, for a "light"
year.

2. When there is more than 40 inches and less than about 70 inches of snow
recorded in Feb. then expect approximately 26 inches in June, for an
"average" year.

3. When more than about 70 inches are recorded in Feb. delay your trip start
date so that you hit the high Sierra in July, OR seriously consider a North
to South trip, as you can expect more than 80 inches still sitting around in
June!

Oh, and 1977 is the lightest year on record in this time frame, the year I
hiked the PCT.  The record shows 2.9 inches in May.  I know this to be true
as I stayed in the snow survey cabin one night in May that year with what I
would call "approximately 3 inches of snow on the ground".  I stayed in the
cabin because the temperature dropped to about 5 below zero that night.  It
offered shelter from the cold so I accepted.

I hope this is useful for planning purposes at this time when many of you are
looking for some indication of what kind of winter this will be and therefor
how should my schedule fall.  Good luck, 2001, a PCT odyssey!

So, check the snow survey records for the Bighorn Plateau in February and
make your best guess!

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel