[pct-l] re: bikes on the pct

Um, it is actually legal in the state of Oregon to hitchhike on the
interstate highways, at least it was in 1996.  I've done it several times
and have never been hassled by passing police, just would get a friendly
wave instead.

Although I'm late in chiming in on this thread...I don't think bikes
should be allowed on the pct either.  Granted, horses tear up the trail
more than mountain bikes do; but horses are infrequent on the
trail.  Horses are expensive to maintain, and a pain in the butt to travel
with.  A mountain bike is cheap and you just hop on it and go.  If
mountain bikes were allowed on the PCT, the trail would become overrun
with them.  The meathead contingent would also go up since the backcountry
would be so accessible.  Not all mountain bike riders ride safe on the
trail.  I, like many other hikers have been nearly killed by some thrill
seekers whizzing downhill around a blind corner.  I couldn't help laughing
actually, since they were all wearing Slayer t-shirts and smoking
cigs while going down the trail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-bicycle.  I have four of them, and gave
up my car in 1993 to rely on the bicycle as my primary form of
transportation.  But I don't think mountain bikes have any place on the
PCT, or any hiking trail for that matter.

Craig Giffen
Portland, OR