From: Ron Moak [mailto:pct-l@fallingwater.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 4:42 PM
To: PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: (Guest Post) [pct-l] RE: PCT questions to you post

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Ron Moak <pct-l@fallingwater.com>.
* Please use <mailto:pct-l@fallingwater.com> to reply to the sender.

Tom,

Reading your post, I could almost feel the pain blisters seep back into the
soles of my feet. Seeing that I was one of those who flew fast and crashed
hard. I spent too much time in Anza recovering from misdeeds.

I will agree with you that the need to proceed cautiously, building up your
endurance and getting used to the environment is very important. We diverge
when you talk about the Spartan camp as the reason ultra-light hikers are
likely go get caught in trouble.

While a Spartan camp may not be conducive to hours of camp lounging, it is
not the reason that drives the hiker on. Perhaps you need to be a thru-hiker
to understand, I don't know. But what drives a thru-hike is the fact that
there is more trail beyond.  When you get into camp and still feel good
despite a long day, there's always the urge to keep going.

It's one of those things deep down inside of us that drive us. Often beyond
all logic and reason. There was many a night when my partner and I would
arrive in camp after a long 25 mile day. We'd shake our head wondering what
kind of fools we were, swear not to do it again, then take off the next
morning to repeat it.

I've run down mountains so loaded with painkillers I couldn't even feel my
feet let alone the bleeding blisters. Then arrive in town and be in such
pain that walking a block to a restaurant was a 20 minute chore. A couple of
day's and lot's of painkillers later I was back out doing it all over again.

It defies reason and logic. I've just come to accept it as part of the
package. I'm certainly not advising others to do what I did. I'm not that
sadistic. Each person will have to achieve a balance with the trail on their
own terms. There is no one size fits all approach here.

Ron