From: Bighummel@aol.com [mailto:Bighummel@aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 10:35 AM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: **Understanding** Re: [pct-l] FW: Hiker killed on Whitney

Rich writes:

<< If  I  were injured the same it could have  been fatal. With the
 pain and agony from this simple  fall, and consequent
 sprain, and having been there on the mtn, I could not imagine
 locomoting myself 10 more miles back to the trail head! Or even
 back to my tent.>>

I thought of this exact scenario before attempting a thruhike and came up
with this solution:  Prescription pain killers and since an injury of this
type is most likely to occur while you have your pack on or near, it offers
plenty splint building materials.  I figured that in most situations the
combination of the pain killers, a good splint and the ice ax to use as a
crutch  would enable to get out of most areas.  Obviously a few exceptions
exist, but you can't plan for every possibility, only the most likely.

<< One thing I recall is that most accidents happen at home-- >>

So, then, for God's sake!  DONT STAY HOME!! GET OUT QUICK AND STAY OUT!!!

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel