[pct-l] Stephenson tents - again

Nomad Wanderlust Lite versus Stephenson 3RS

In the Stephenson 3RS two people can easily spread out all their gear and
sleeping system. Three people can fit easily but it is cramped. The double
door [one at each end] allows all packs and gear to be piled at one end from
the outside while the other door is avialable for
entry/exit. This may not seem like much but being able to store all your
gear inside makes life much easier. Tent setup is trivial. On can sit up
easily in the tent. Condensation is not a problem in California except the
end sections. The double side windows open wide for good ventilation. One
can either stake them out with rocks or roll them up. In a storm the
Stephenson is truely summit worthy. Total weight 4 pounds. Ground cloth not
required.

The Wanderlust Nomad light that I have weighs 1 3/4 pounds and uses hiking
poles as tent support. I understand that the newer tents weigh about 2
pounds. The tent is a single wall design that promotes condensation, is hot
in the sun, and has little flow thru ventilation. It is designed by the
inventor for thruhikers and is small, spartan and light. One person plus
pack fit but two will be really cramped. Setup is a pain the first few times
until you get the hang of it. Then it becomes easy. The screen door closes
with velcro. It is difficult to get a good seal. I would not enjoy riding
out an extended storm in a Nomad. It does not seal up against weather well
without virtually eliminating ventilation and will flap mercillesly in any
wind. On the other hand, the Nomad will keep bugs and rain off far better
than a tarp and will setup almost anywhere.

I am comparing two dissimiler tents. The Stephenson designed for extreme
comfort in four seasons. The Nomad is a "stealth" campers dream. If you are
"on-the-trail or in-your-bag" like many thruhikers the benefits of the
Stephenson are not really valuable. However, if you stop by 5PM and don't
crash till dark, you'll appreciate the Stephenson's ability to act as a
refuge from sun and bugs.