[pct-l] Hiking pole study

different srudy, similar results.  here is an abstract:

A field test comparison of hiking stick use on heartrate and rating of perceived exertion.
Jacobson BH - Percept Mot Skills - 1998 Oct; 87(2): 435-8
>From NIH/NLM MEDLINE, HealthSTAR

Source Title:
Perceptual and Motor Skills

Authors:
Jacobson BH; Wright T

Abstract:
The purpose of this study was to compare heartrate carrying a load and rating of perceived exertion with and without hiking sticks while ascending and descending a slope. 11 novice, moderately fit volunteers, ages 18 to 21 years (M = 19.3 yr.) completed two alternate 50-meter, uphill and downhill hikes on a 40 degrees slope during randomly ordered trials with and without fitted hiking sticks and backpacks (15 kg). Paired t test comparisons for 4 trials indicated that mean heartrate was significantly lower only following the first ascent by those using hiking sticks than those without sticks. Rating of perceived exertion also was significantly lower (p < .05) for those using hiking sticks. Perhaps heartrate may be lower at the onset of climbing using hiking sticks, but as the duration the hike is extended, heartrates become comparable, presumably due to the transfer of energy utilization from the legs to the upper body.