[pct-l] bikes on the PCT

"Reynolds, WT" wrote:

> These bikers arrogance at asking for water seems comparible to ultra-light
> thruhikers expecting to receive medical help from other, better prepared,
> hikers [with heavier packs]. <snip>

> Not sharing your water? Unheard of in my mountains. It is roughly the same
> as walking away from an injured thruhiker because he didn't carry a ......

Tom,
    I disagree with you on sharing water. The two bikers in question were
apparently just thirsty, not dying of thirst. Further we don't know if Joanne's
water supply was sufficient for her to spare some.
    I would stop and help a severely injured person even if he was an injured
thruhiker. OTOH if the injury was minor I'd let him suffer.
    I remember once I was on a day hike on Mt. Diablo. A woman who was
constantly complaining came up and asked me for some water. I asked her where
hers was; she said she didn't think she would need water so she didn't bring
any. I informed her I brought water only for myself. She may have been thirsty
when she got back to the trailhead; however she survived with no permanent ill
effects and perhaps learned a little about taking care of herself.

John