[pct-l] bikes on the PCT

I think you re barking up the wrong tree. Your questions on mountain biking
on the PCT would best be answered by asking the PCTA and the BLM directly.
Personally, I think the reason mountain bikes are not allowed even on little
used parts of the PCT is because many hikers like to have at least a sense of
some solitude. Therefore the more restrictions on use, the better. Sure, it's
an elitist thing, but so is the concept of wilderness itself. Many, many
potential users are excluded from using it, from developers of condos, to
view mongers, to poachers using wheel barrels. I guess we feel that since the
trail was made for and by horse riders and hikers, only they should use it.
Mountain bikers and dirt bikers each are large groups of people. The
reasoning, as I see it, is that they should and could construct their own
trails, where allowed by law, so that the PCT won't be over popularized and
we lose the sense of solitude that now exists on large portions of it.
Basically, its a matter of whether or not solitude is seen as a worthwhile in
itself.  Isn't the sense of solitude one of the reasons quotas are placed in
wilderness areas? A floodgate could be opened if mountain bikers (and then,
eventually, dirt bikers) are allowed to use the PCT. I, for one don't wish to
see an europization of American public lands. I saw a slide show on the Alps
once. I was very dismayed to see you could not escape civilization ANYWHERE.
The common theme was that the land was there for everyone to enjoy and all of
it must therefore be made accessible. Hence climbing huts, gondolas, blasted
tunnels, and hordes of climbers and tourists filled every nook, cranny and
peak. Solitude simply did not exist. It had been sacrificed to the common
"good." Saying access should be allowed to everyone on the PCT will result in
the same thing happening here. If the Grand Tetons and Grand Canyon were in
Europe, there would be gondolas everywhere. Why? Because inaccessible land
has no tourist value. Those that say we must share just can't comprehend the
loss of inaccesible places being made easily accessible.  So, in conclusion,
how about building your own trail, where multiple use laws exist, instead of
using ours. I promise not to hike on it.