[pct-l] Red's Meadow, California

Thanks for the comments Steve, very good points-- I responded
a little tongue in cheek so pleease dont take ffense...

Rich

At 7:12 PM -0000 1/24/01, Steve Courtway wrote:
>My opinion on the Red's Meadow issue:
>
>Most successess are based on niches.

------> Yes-- with reasonable prices..look at SGI- they are the in a great
niche market-- but they aren't selling squat (compared to Intel, etc)
becasue there prices are out of range)....

>VVR may charge $6.00 a package,
>but how many complaints do you hear about people arriving there with a full
>wallet, but leaving empty ?  The 1st beer free schtick ?

------>  Well.. you gotta point but  amount of beer conmsumed  anywhere on
the trail is not affected by the first one free! But the strength of the elbow
and its owner!

>The 'ol, "if you don't wanna kick down the twenty five, don't stop"
>applies here.
>
>Almost all hikers would exploit oil if it were struck in their own backyards.
>
>All you high priced programmers and analysts and whatever you do when you're
>not hiking are paid pretty well, too I'd imagine.

------> Being a high priced programmer I easily achieve minimum wage after
working my
laid-back California work-week of 70 hours <smile>...