[pct-l] Re: Dehydrating sausage/hot dogs?

> I've tried dehydrating sausage, the problem is the meat doesn't dry properly
> because it's coated with fat and the fat goes rancid.

Thanks Elizabeth. Last night after 12 hours in the dehydrator (one that only
takes 5 hours for beef jerky) I threw out the sausage. There was way too
much fat and it didn't taset that good anyway. No one mentioned if hot dogs
are doable so I think I'll try the fat free chicken franks.

> high-end deli or German deli. Dry salamis and pepperonis can also be carried for
> quite a while in the pack. Wrap them in several layers of clean paper, then baggie

Salami's definately on my list to bring. Would this last a 1-2 week trip in
the drop box plus 1 week on trail? Maybe a roll of dry salami (instead of
slices) is better as it has the skin on it still.

BTW.. Thanks for those who posted beef recipies way back (thank goodness for
Eudora's search feature, I can search back 4 years). My dehydrated cooked
seasoned ground beef turned out great.

Jim