[pct-l] permanent physical changes

Tim asked:
<Is it possible that one's body would react to the long term physical
stresses of a thru hike by stabilizing at a higher weight after the hike
than before?  Sort of like the body saying "I'm not going to get caught with
low reserves like *that* again".>

I like it!  And here I thought the weight I gain after every trek was simply
that I've gotten so used to eating whatever I want that I can't stop, even
though I'm not burning it off anymore.  But it actually makes sense --
severe dieting can cause the body's metabolism to slow down - so probably
increasing exercise levels to such an extreme will probably do the same.
Anyhow, it's as good an excuse as any.

Seriously, for some of us, too many miles with a too heavy pack have done
permanent damage to our knees.  It gets better with time and gentle
exercise, but it doesn't go away.  Every time I go on a steep downhill, or
squat to look at a low shelf, I'm reminded of the AT.

Ginny