[pct-l] Feeding the bears

I have spent considerable time in Washington, Idaho, and Montana in bear
country. Both living in areas where bears frequent the residential area and
backpacking into bear country, including grizzley bear country.  In the many
years, I have never heard of nor have I seen a bear attracted to dry staple
(non-odorous) foods  like pasta, instant potatoes, minute rice, bisquick,
etc.  	I was wondering if anybody on this list has had a contrary
experience.  Admittedly, I havent dealt with the bears from the sierra who
have obtained advanced degrees in food burglary.   For those who are
considering carrying a bear cannister, this information could be invaluable
for packing the cannister or for determining to carry a "safer" forms of
food.

I also note that many years ago, when people tended to carry more of this
type of food rather than prepared meals, the incidence of bear-man
encounters was much lower.  Certainly, there are other factors involved and
this isn't the sole reason for the encounters now.  However, it may be a
factor and that a reversion to this type of menu may make the hiker less
noticeable to the "garbage bear"

Just a thought for the list to mull over.

Ted