[pct-l] bears, tents, and Tuolumne

While hiking into Vidette Meadow this summer I heard the following bear
story from other hikers.  It supposedly happened to some PCT hikers
during the 2000 hike season.
   A group of thru-hikers hiked into Tuolumne Meadows and decided to
spend the night at Tuolumne Backpacker's Camp for some resupply time and
R & R.  They had dinner at the fast food place next to the grocery
store.  The food was bad and all of them got sick to some degree.  One
of the guys upchucked in his tent.  He tried to clean it up, but didn't
do too well, apparently.  During the night a bear showed up and dragged
off the whole tent with the guy inside.  He was zipped into his bag,
being dragged off, screaming his head off, essentially helpless!  His
buddies got up and drove off the bear by screaming and throwing rocks.
     This is the story I got.  Did anyone else hear this one, or
variations on it, and does anyone have any verification of its
authenticity? Or is this perhaps the wilderness equivalent of an urban
legend?
Marion Davison