[pct-l] Hoods on the trail

 In this day of high tech hum bug, the lowly poncho still deserves a hard
look. Thousands of army troops have used these for years.  A hooded
over-the-pack poncho does triple duty on the trail as a great tarp set up for
over your bivy tent to make a great cooking area and boot or shoe cover. Home
made from 1.1 oz. silicone stuff would fit the bill. I used a REI over the
pack poncho which worked well for me. ( Good ventilation in the rain) Some
hikers complain of a poncho flapping like a freedom flag going down the
trail. I have never had this problem as most ponchos have good snaps along
the sides or velcro. Options are endless, but add this to your list of "
maybe 's". I agree with having a good hood.  " Frank Zappa boils yellow snow
for water and uses an alcohol burner" Rolling Stones mag. 1975