[pct-l] Walking with ice ax

sfox@eskimo.com writes:

>  > I have a pair of walking crampons [Grivel -- 6 points, no front
>  > points. The bindings work with soft hiking shoes] What would that change?
>
>That works great for trails. But on very steep slopes they tend to roll.
>You really need full crampons.

An ice axe (wooden shaft for style, class and sophistication!) and in-step
crampons worked fairly well in a light year, for me.  Entering the Sierra on
May 1 in 1977, one of the lightest snow years on record, is probably similar
to leaving Kennedy Meadows on June 1 in most relatively normal years
(whatever that is!).

Even going over a 15 foot vertical wall of ice at Forrester Pass was possible
by cutting hand and foot holds in the ice (carefully), shifting the in-steps
up to the front half of your boot to grab in the holes, and tying a rope to
your pack to haul up after you make the climb so that its weight isn't trying
to pull you off.  Yes, I would have liked full crampons at the time.
However, carrying them all the way from Weldon (Kennedy Meadows didn't exist
in 1977) wasn't exactly attractive for use on just that one situation.  Heavy
duty boots enabled me to walk / stomp my way fairly securely on steep slopes,
without the in-steps, in most situations.

In other words, solid boots and in-steps with an ice axe are my suggestion if
there is appreciable snow in the high country when you decide to leave
Kennedy Meadows.  Tennis shoes, running shoes, Happy Balance or whatever with
in-step crampons are not likely to cut the mustard.

In my humble and weathered opinion.

Greg "Strider" Hummel