From: sf [mailto:sfox@eskimo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 8:10 PM
To: pct-l@edina.hack.net
Subject: [pct-l] Walking with ice ax

OK, as requested I'll attempt to desribe walking with an ax. But it's
better to read "Mountaineering, The Freedom of the Hills".

Carry the ax on easy ground with the point forward. That way you know
where it is and hopefully won't poke a friend.

On steeper ground, hold it with the pick pointing backwards anduse it like
a short cane. The ax always goes on the uphill side. Learn to use it with
both hands.

On very steep terrain, when you move the ax is important. Let's take an
example of the uphill on your right side. With your downhill leg (left
leg) behind and uphill leg (right) in front, jam the axe hard into the
snow/ice. Now move the left leg, then right leg. The ax weill be behind
you slightly. But you are in the best stance with the lower leg straight
and the upper leg bent. Now withdraw the ax and plant it again in front of
you. Man this is hard to describe without pictures!

On super steep terrain face uphill, and plant the ax directly in front of
you with both hands. Then move your feet (up or down), jamming your tennie
shoes into the ice. Once the feet are stable, lift up the ax and replant
it for the next step.

You can also plunge step downhill, facing downhill. Bend your knees, plant
the ax firmly, then jam your tennie shoes heels into the ice (boots work a
lot better!!). Lift and move... go try it, hard to explain.

Other techniques that work well in steep dirt include palming the ax head
and pushing the pick into the dirt.