From: sf [mailto:sfox@eskimo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001 5:51 PM
To: pct-l@edina.hack.net
Subject: [pct-l] ice axes

Gail,

As someone who has done a fair bit of mountaineering, and helped teach ice
axe arrest, I would recommend you read Jim's post several times.  He is
right on the money. The part about knowing how to walk with an axe in
steep terrain is super important. More important almost than knowing how
to arrest! I've seen arrests fail, or take a really long time in safer
areas. However, I've seen it work numerous times, including with me.

Another axe to consider is the Stubai aluminum axe. Mine is about a pound.
The Grivel axes are also very good that others have mentioned. DOn't worry
about positive/negative angle. The only people who care are the ice
climbers. Get a new axe and you'll have the right kind. DOn't get an "ice
tool",which is only for specialized use. Ask at your mountain shop, or ask
here when you fnd the one you are most interested in.